Well, there are changes afoot for the Mansfield LUG!
The rumours on the mailing list are correct, John who has hosted our meetings for the last couple of years has decided to emigrate. This means we are without a place to meet, and I am taking the opportunity to see what people want from the group. Please see the mailing list for more information and the ongoing debate. If you are not a member of the mailing list you can subscribe here.
The big question is what do you, the list members, want from the our LUG? There are currently 60 registered email addresses on the list and our meeting attendance is just 4, so something is obviously not right for the rest of the list members. This is your chance to get your opinions voiced so lets start a discussion and get input from as many people as possible.
As one member has said, there are four options:
- Carry on as before, hosting at offices or homes and meeting on a monthly basis
- Becoming an on-line only community, with infrequent meetings, probably more of social nature
- Try to drive forward, get a permanent meeting place, (Like the diving club or Mansfield library for instance)
- Merge with another local LUG
I’m keen to get everyone involved in deciding the best options for us as a group so here is a bunch of questions to consider:
- Do you want to continue meeting face to face or drop to a mailing list only group?
- If, where could we meet? I’m open to any reasonable suggestions
- Is once a month often enough or too much?
- Is the last Wednesday of the month the best day any longer, what other days would bring additional attendance?
- Do you want to start paying for a room if there is no other option?
- Do you want social gatherings or more involved meetings where you can bring hardware
- Do you want a long term plan for meeting content?
- Do you want guest speakers, if so who is going to arrange them, and on what topics?
- If we meet at a pub, does it have to server real-ale?
- What content could be hosted on the website? Does anyone want to manage that?
I’m sure there are a hundred other possible questions. It’s an open forum so ask away, and if anyone has suggestions please make them. At this point there are no bad suggestions.
As for myself, I have a few items to put out there to get people thinking…
- I have a Raspberry Pi, didn’t really know what to do with it, so it’s in a box in the back of a cupboard. If anyone uses them or is enthusiastic about them I’d love to ‘get’ what all the fuss is about.
- I’ve never seen an audrino, and wouldn’t know what to do with one anyway – but I’m more than willing to see what others are doing with them
- I can’t afford a 3D printer, but think they’re awesome 🙂
- I use an android tablet and phone, but have never hacked them because I can’t afford to replace them if it goes wrong
- I have a small PC next to the stereo that plays music – it would be nice to do more with it like stream movies over my network, but haven’t gotten round to it yet
- I would like to learn Python, but lack a project or the time to learn ‘the hard way’
- I would like to learn how to use blender to create 3D scenes & objects
- I want to know more about why internet connected household appliances can be insecure enough to send spam